Director, Smart City Technology
President & CEO
461 Burroughs St., Detroit, Michigan 48202
How You’ll Drive Impact
Lead NextEnergy’s Smart City practice and development of programs to accelerate smart, clean, accessible solutions for communities and cities under the leadership of the President & CEO. Work with communities, technology companies, business stakeholders, public agencies, and NextEnergy partners to identify, build, and launch projects that help cities establish and achieve net-zero carbon goals, support economic development and improve quality of life.
Develop Smart City Technology Programs and Demonstrations
- Identify programs and project partners designed to accelerate smart, clean, accessible solutions for communities and cities
- Translate program concepts into an executable scope of work and project plan
- Supervise and execute smart city technology programs
- Design and execute program evaluation strategies
- Lead strategic planning efforts for meeting smart city resource needs and team growth
Build Relationships to Advance NextEnergy’s Mission
- Identify and engage key stakeholders to qualify smart city opportunities
- Develop contacts with individuals and organizations, a local/regional stakeholder map and key events in the region
- Develop strategies for public-private partnerships and municipal procurement of NextEnergy’s smart city services (including unsolicited bids, RFPs, and pilot partnerships)
Share NextEnergy’s Impact
- Represent NextEnergy at local, state and national events (conferences, seminars, trade shows, etc.) including developing and/or delivering presentations at conferences, workshops and industry convening events
- Work with NextEnergy’s communications team on program-related materials, including program education pieces, surveys and other external-facing marketing materials
- Support the pursuit of federal, state and philanthropic grants through opportunity identification and proposal development
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science or urban planning
- 10+ years of public or private sector experience in energy, transportation, policy, planning, civic technology, economic development, urban planning or a mobility-related field
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of products including Word, Excel, Power Point
- Master’s degree or MBA
- Existing network with the energy, urban planning community, municipal governments, transportation policymakers, technology providers, real estate/developers, and public and private sector transportation operators
- Working knowledge of a broad range of energy and mobility market sectors and the key technologies within each sector
- Experience in preparing or responding to public funding opportunities
- Understanding of federal funding processes, local procurement, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to translate program concepts into an executable scope of work
- Strong financial acumen with a preference for prior budget or P&L ownership
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Self-starter, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and tight deadlines within a fast-faced, entrepreneurial environment
What You’ll Receive In Return
As part of NextEnergy, you’ll enjoy a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, flexible work arrangements and much more. You’ll also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
The NextEnergy team (including this position) is currently working remotely at this time. The organization is actively developing a plan for the future of our onsite work, which will provide updated expectations for in-person reporting and would not be implemented until September 2021. A candidate for this position should be prepared to work multiple days in Detroit per week, depending on business needs.
Candidates for positions with NextEnergy must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
NextEnergy is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER committed to diversity and consideration of all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and disability status, protected veteran status or any other category prohibited by applicable local, state or federal law.
Applicants with a disability who may need an accommodation to participate in the interview process should make such an accommodation request at the time they are contacted by a department representative to schedule an interview.
Qualified individuals please submit a resume to NextEnergy at: Jobs@nextenergy.org